||Ford does not provide camshaft gear timing marks, or information to perform timing belt service without the special tools shown in this procedure.
- Remove the timing belt, valve cover and the camshaft sprocket.
- Remove the bolts.
- Rotate the flange 90 degrees prior to removing the exhaust camshaft.
- CAUTION: Cylinder head camshaft journal caps should be numbered to make sure that they are assembled in their original positions. Failure to do so may result in engine damage.
Remove the camshaft journal caps.
- Loosen the bolts in several two-turn passes in the sequence shown.
- Remove the bolts.
- Remove the caps.
- Cylinder Remove the camshafts.
- Remove the oil control solenoid and bushing.
- Inspect the camshafts for wear.
- Verify the valve clearance.
- Install the oil control solenoid bushing and flange on the exhaust camshaft.
- NOTE: The front camshaft journal cap must be installed and the bolts tightened to specification within four minutes of sealer application or oil leaks may occur.
Coat the sealing surface of the front camshaft journal cap with gasket maker.
- Position the camshafts.
- Lubricate the camshaft bearing surfaces with clean engine oil.
- Install new camshaft front oil seals.
- NOTE: Apply a thin coat of silicone gasket and sealant to the sealing surface of the front camshaft bearing cap.
Install the camshaft journal caps.
- Position the camshaft journal caps.
- Install the bolts. Tighten the bolts in several two-turn passes in the sequence shown until snug.
- CAUTION: The oil control O-ring seals must not fall out of position in the oil control solenoid flange during installation or poor engine performance may occur.
Inspect the oil control solenoid flange O-rings; replace as necessary.
- Install the bolts. Tighten the bolts in the sequence shown.
- Rotate the camshafts one full turn and inspect them for binding.
- Install the camshaft sprockets.
- Install the timing belt.
- Install the valve cover.