- Start and run the vehicle to operating temperature.
- Set engine idle speed to 1,200 rpm .
- Rotate the steering wheel to the RH stop, then turn the steering wheel 90 degrees back from that position. Turn the steering wheel slowly in a 15 to 30 degree arc.
CAUTION : Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for more than three to five seconds at a time. Damage to the power steering pump will occur.
- Turn the steering wheel another 90 degrees . Turn the steering wheel slowly in a 15 to 30 degree arc.
- Repeat the test with power steering fluid at different temperatures.
- If a light grunt is heard or a low (50-200 Hz) shudder is present, this is a normal steering system condition.
- If a loud grunt is heard or a strong shudder is felt, fill and purge the power steering system.