Inspection and Verification
- Verify the customer's concern by operating the engine to duplicate the condition.
- Inspect to determine if any of the following mechanical concerns apply.
- NOTE: Minor cracks in the V-grooved portion of the drive belt are considered normal and acceptable. If the drive belt has chunks missing from the ribs, a new drive belt should be installed.
Install a new drive belt if any of the following conditions exist:
- rib chunk-out
- severe glazing
- frayed cords or other concerns. Inspect for drive belt cracking/chunking/wear.
V-Ribbed Serpentine Drive Belt With Cracks Across Ribs
V-Ribbed Serpentine Drive Belt With Chunks of Rib Missing
- If the concerns remain after inspection, determine the symptoms and go to the symptom chart. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures